The global demand for PD1/PDL1 inhibitors has been marginally impacted by the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, with disruptions and delays in supply chains owing to logistical and transport issues. According to a recent study by Future Market Insights (FMI), the long-term prospects of the industry is likely to remain very positive, with investments growing for cancer treatment research and emphasis on biologics in the pharma industry.
According to FMI analysts, PD1/PDL1 inhibitors are anticipated to play increasingly important roles in cancer treatment procedures, owing to lower toxicity levels in comparison to other treatment alternatives, and better compliance with safety standards being implemented by regulatory bodies in different countries.
The industry has witnessed exponential growth in the past few years on account of investments into research for biologics in the pharmaceutical sector and the potential application of immunity check point inhibitors, and promising results from clinical trials against conditions such as non-small cell lung cancer, melanoma, and head & neck squamous cell cancer among others.
Request a report sample to gain more market insights at https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/ask-question/rep-gb-12644
Pembrolizumab and nivolumab inhibitors are being used increasingly in the healthcare sector owing to regulatory approval for treating a wider range of cancers in comparison to other PD1/PDL1 inhibitor variants. Applications towards treating non-small cell lung cancer will remain a major contributor to industry revenues.
However, high costs associated to cancer treatment in hospital settings, coupled with long durations and strict regulations associated with the approval process of PD1/PDL1 inhibitor products are major challenges to market participants.
The report by FMI offers a detailed market overview, covering critical growth dynamics. Some of the top takeaways from the study include:
- The PD1/PDL1 inhibitors Market was valued at US$ 21.8 Bn in 2019, with growth diminishing slightly during the coronavirus crisis
- Pembrolizumab inhibitors remain in high demand owing to regulatory approval for applications for a wider range of cancer treatments
- Sales and distribution through hospital pharmacies will remain higher than retail and online pharmacy alternatives, owing to robust supply chains and larger inventories
- Sales in North America will remain critical to market growth through 2030. However, Asian countries are reflecting lucrative growth opportunities with a vast population base and investments in healthcare infrastructure modernization
“PD1/PDL1 inhibitors are a number of fairly new checkpoint inhibitor cancer treatment drugs which block select immune checkpoint proteins in cells that are at risk to tumours and are emerging as a front-line treatment in immunotherapy for several types of cancer, driven by healthcare research in North America and Europe,” said a lead analyst at FMI.
Covid-19 Impact on the PD1/PDL1 Inhibitors Market
The coronavirus pandemic is estimated to have a moderate impact on the PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market in the short term. Challenges are likely to arise in terms of supply chain disruptions in terms of raw materials and product delivery owing to logistical and transportation delays.
Further, governments and healthcare facilities around the world are redirecting essential resources towards handling the pandemic, which is limiting the scope of application for cancer treatments through PD1/PDL1 inhibitors.
The uncertainty over the duration and the severity of the pandemic is a key challenge that players in the PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market will have to contend with in the months to come. However, the higher risk of comorbidities for cancer patients also affected by the coronavirus is expected to partially alleviate challenges in the industry. Recovery of the sector is likely to be strong as cancer cases remain prevalent across the globe.
Who is Winning?
In the report, FMI has scrutinized the different strategies businesses involved in the PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market have employed. Top players in the industry have largely invested in product development and research efforts including major clinical trials. Also, capacity expansions along with strategic partnerships and acquisitions have gained importance among the market players.
Some of the leading players in the PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market include Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck & Co. Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Merck KGaA, Pfizer Inc., and AstraZeneca.
In its latest report, Future Market Insights, has provided a comprehensive analysis of the global PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market, comprising information on historic demand and forecast data for the years between 2020 and 2030. The market report also provides critical assessment of product pricing and numerous important market dynamics, life cycle analysis and product innovations that find roles in the development and production of PD1/PDL1 inhibitors and adoption among various demographics.
PD1/PDL1 Inhibitors Industry Report: Scope
|Historical Data Available for||2015-2019|
|Market Analysis||USD Million for value|
|Key Regions Covered||North America, Latin America, Europe, South Asia, East Asia, Oceania, Middle East & Africa|
|Key Countries Covered||US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France, U.K., Spain, BENELUX, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, GCC Countries, Turkey, South Africa|
|Key Segments Covered||Product Type, Indication, Distribution Channel, and Region|
|Key Companies Profiled||Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck & Co. Inc., F-Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Merck KGaA, Pfizer Inc., AstraZeneca|
|Report Coverage||Market Forecast, brand share analysis, competition intelligence, DROT analysis, Market Dynamics and Challenges, Strategic Growth Initiatives|
|Customization & Pricing||Available upon Request|
Key Questions Answered by the Report
- What is the size of the PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market? The global PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market reached a valuation of over US$ 21.8 billion in 2019. The market is likely to grow at an exponential 13.1% CAGR between 2020 and 2030.
- Which is the largest market for PD1/PDL1 inhibitors? North America is the dominant market for PD1/PDL1 inhibitors. Higher product availability and adoption rates in the region are key drivers.
- Which are the top companies in PD1/PDL1 inhibitors market? Some of the leading companies operating in the market are Bristol-Myers Squibb, AstraZeneca, Merck & Co. Inc., F.Hoffmann La-Roche AG, and Pfizer Inc.
- What are the applications of PD1/PDL1 inhibitors? PD1/PDL1 inhibitors are primarily used in the healthcare sector for treatments for a wide range of cancers including melanoma, merkel cell carcinoma, non-small cell lung cancer, and bladder cancer among others.
- In what types are PD1/PDL1 inhibitors available? PD1/PDL1 inhibitors is available in five types. These include nivolumab, durvalumab, pembrolizumab, avelumab, and atezolizumab. Of these, pembrolizumab is witnessing higher demand, accounting for over 50% of the overall revenue share through 2030.